Thursday, April 29, 2010

Chinese Watercress With Chestnut Soup (栗子西洋菜湯)

The watercress is high in A , B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B17, C, D, E and K, so naturally I would make this soup quite frequent. Normally, I do it with carrots but today I need to substitute it with fresh chestnuts as Damian is still coughing. Chinese Watercress soup is very cooling on your body, so in order to even it out, I was taught by my dad to add fresh chestnuts. Making Chinese Soup can get very complicated with customizing it according to your menu and health condition. If not done properly, you could really harm somebody.

This is a very easy and simple soup, anyone can do it. I even thought of some items to switch for the vegetarians among us. If you happen to be a vegetarian, omit the boneless lean pork, add a large cube of tofu and 6 dried Chinese mushrooms (冬菇). If you eat seafood, please add some 5 - 6 dried Chinese scallops (乾瑤柱) to it. So here you go Sharon, you can go ahead and make this one on the weekend for Bernd. Er wird Dich dafuer sehr lieben, meaning, he is going to love you very much for it !!! My dear friend Sharon, is married to a German .. not just a German, and they are a handful already - trust me, am one myself, so I know what I am talking about, but he is a vegetarian on top of it !!!!! *sigh*, I feel for you Sharon !!!!

Chinese Watercress with Chestnut Soup(栗子西洋菜湯)

1/2 lb boneless lean pork
1 tablespoon dried northern/eastern Apricots Kernel (南北杏)
4-5 large dried honey dates (蜜枣)
2 bunches fresh watercress (西洋菜)
15 fresh chestnuts (栗子)

Step 1:
Blanche lean pork in separate bowl with boiling water, afterwards rinse it clean under running water to remove any dirt and debris from the blanching.

Step 2:
Rinse chestnuts and boil for 15 minutes (or until shell is soft), peel chestnuts while they are still hot (use gloves or towel).

Step 3:
Rinse the fresh watercress thoroughly for several times.

Step 4:
Mix all the ingredients in a pot, cover with plenty of water and bring it to boil. Simmer over low heat for 2 - 3 hours until broth changes colour.

Step 5:
Add salt to taste and serve.

Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment