Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries


Who does not love chocolate-dipped strawberries ? Unless you have an allergic reaction, this is a very simple way to impress somebody you love or care about.

My dad made (still does!) it every year for their wedding anniversary, I remember licking the bowl clean after he was done - boy was I high on sugar afterwards. We don't' celebrate Valentine's Day in Germany (at least not when I was growing up there!), so he would made me a big plate to bring to Class when we celebrated Easter. I was always so proud, presenting my dad's creation to all my friends. So, having this wonderful memory in mind, I passed on his tradition to my kids. I prepared some fun and delicious chocolate dipped strawberries for my boys to bring to Kindergarten and Daycare. I still take the privilege to clean up the bowl of chocolate though, sort of my reward for all the hard work.

Here are some important tips you need to know:

Strawberries must be fresh and dry when dipping. I recommend you buying berries no more than a day ahead of when you want to dip them. Store the berries in the refrigerator, but allow them to warm to room temperature before dipping. After dipping, let the chocolate set in refrigerator, but do not store the strawberries there. Eat it within 48 hours- if it can last that long.

Since strawberries grow on the ground, they should be washed before they are eaten or dipped. Leave the green caps on and wash the berries gently with cool water flowing from the tap so as not to bruise the fruit.

If you are going to dip the berries in chocolate, they need to be completely dry. Just a tiny drop of water in the melted chocolate can cause the whole batch to seize (curdle) and it will be impossible to melt the chocolate and use it again. After washing the berries, pat them dry with a paper towel and place them on a dry paper towel until needed.

You can use other dry-surfaced fruit such as orange-sections (leave membrane on), dried fruit, citrus peel, apples (sliced or small whole), raspberries (do not wash and thread 3 to 4 on skewers) or bananas sliced in long pieces. White chocolate is great to use for a black and white effect. Let the first chocolate harden before dipping or drizzling with the other.

My dad is a perfectionist and used a huge block of styrofoam. You can spear the free end of the toothpick into a piece of Styrofoam to allow the strawberry to dry upside down. Chocolate dipped strawberries are particularly delicious if injected with Grand Marnier or other liquor after the chocolate hardens. He would use a hypodermic needle and syringe to inject the strawberries.

I am just simple and the less fuss the better. I found some fun shaped sprinkles and used it for my boys' treats and they all loved it !!!

Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries, adapted by Martha Stewart

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 pound large strawberries (about 20), washed and dried well
1/3 cup finely unsweetened coconut (optional)

Step 1:
Place chocolate in a bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally, until melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Step 2:
Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. One at a time, dip each strawberry in chocolate, twirling to coat; then sprinkle chocolate-covered portion with coconut, if using, and place on waxed paper.

Step 3:
Chill chocolate-dipped strawberries at least 15 minutes to set chocolate. (Strawberries should not be stored in refrigerator longer than 1 hour as condensation drops may collect on the chocolate.)

Enjoy !!

No comments:

Post a Comment