Sunday, April 25, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes


Since I haven't made pancakes for a while, I decided to spoil my boys with my yummy buttermilk pancakes. I am really fussy with pancakes, I like it light and fluffy. Earlier in March I had introduced you my lemon ricotta pancakes, so today, I would like to introduce you my ultimate buttermilk pancakes. I had found this recipe years ago on Martha Stewart, she claimed it was the best one ever. So I gave it a shot and totally agree. Over the time, I have adjusted it a little bit by adding some very ripe mashed bananas and blueberries. I find that the mashed bananas make the pancakes way more fragrant. If you don't have fresh blueberries, feel free to use frozen ones.
In order to have fluffy pancakes, it is up most important not to over mix your batter. The less the fluffier - even if you still see lumps in your batter.

Buttermilk Pancakes, adjusted & adapted from Martha Stewart

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 - 3 very ripe mashed bananas
3/4 cup blueberries
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/2 teaspoon for griddle

Step 1:
Heat griddle or frying pan over high heat. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, mashed bananas and 4 tablespoons butter; whisk to combine. Batter should have small to medium lumps. Gently fold in your blueberries.

Step 2:
Heat oven to 175 degrees. Test griddle by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. If water bounces and spatters off griddle, it is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush remaining 1/2 teaspoon of butter or reserved bacon fat onto griddle. Wipe off excess.

Step 3:
Using a 4-ounce ladle, about 1/2 cup, pour pancake batter, in pools 2 inches away from one other. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.

Step 4:
Repeat with remaining batter, keeping finished pancakes on a heatproof plate in oven. Serve warm.
Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment