Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chinese Stir Fried Egg With Prawns & Peas (蝦仁炒蛋)


My boys have been bugging me to do their favourite Chinese egg dish for days now. When I think back, it used to be one of my favourite dishes too as a little girl. I have been busy these days with finding the perfect piano teacher for Ethan. Not an easy task at all. But I have finally found my perfect one. Ethan has been learning piano for almost 1 year now, but his current piano teacher is just not my cup of tea, to say the least. I have been looking for a piano teacher who could speak mandarin, preferably from Taiwan who is professionally trained (a bachelor in piano or more) but also loving, patient and passionate about teaching little children. I have been playing piano myself, since I have been 4 years old + my mom has a master degree in piano music, believe it or not - it's true. She gave it all up in order to fully support my dad's dream of opening his own restaurant. That is quite the sacrifice, if you think - you are giving up your own dreams, talent and passion ..... instead you are supporting your spouse with his dreams. Must be true love right ? In return, my father promised my mom, that they would retire once my mom turns 50. Guess what ? He did it, he really kept his promise - my mom had forgotten about it his promise by then. I remember it so clear as if it was yesterday, when my dad announced the closure of our restaurant back in October' 1995. On my mom's birthday, he said to her, that she better pack up her things as he is ready to retire and enjoy life with her. My mom was speechless and called him crazy as our restaurant was booming. She wasn't ready to retire at 50, she would not know what to do with all that gained time, there would be no staff for her to boss around .... As for me, I have learnt my very first lesson of what true love was really about: Devoting, committing yourself and fully supporting your loved one through the pressures of the present and the uncertainties of the future even if it means you have to give up your own plans and dreams.


Chinese Stir Fried Egg With Prawns (蝦仁炒蛋)

6 eggs
1 pack frozen peeled, divined prawns, defrosted ("Thai Gold" brand is the best)
1/2 cup cilantro/green onions mixture
1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted

Seasoning:
1/2 teaspoon salt & sugar (yes, you read right, sugar ... it makes the prawns more crisper)
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 pinch pepper
1/2 tablespoon black sesame oil

Step 1:
Rind and drain the prawns and dry with kitchen towel. Mix well with seasoning and let it cool down in the fridge for 15 minutes.

Step 2:
Beaten eggs with a fork.

Step 3:
Heat wok with 4 tsp of oil, pour in egg. Stir eggs until 50% cooked, add in prawns, peas and cilantro/green onion mixture. Stir fried until eggs and prawns are cooked. Make sure to use high heat and stir quickly.

Step 4:
Serve immediately & enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. I felt verklempt reading this!! Such a great story about your parents!!! Very touching :)

    I don't have black sesame oil. Is it essential when making this dish? I just have the normal sesame oil

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, if you don't ... finish this bottle of regular sesame oil, then try black sesame oil produced/made in Tawain, it will knock your senses ... wow !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon ... by the way ... what exactly did you mean with "verklempt" ? You were stuck ? Where ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story about your parents! I was so chocked up! It's a beautiful story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was a very easy and simple dish to make!!!
    i've made a similar dish and put japanese bonito flakes. it's also very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon ... you are such a good student !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susane,

    Sharon has been singing the praises of your talents for some time now. I was just here to check out the recipe but wound up reading the story of your parents. It's touching that your mother gave up her musical dreams for your dad and he, in turn, was able to keep a long-forgotten promise to her. Did she never wonder about what life would have been like, had she not given up her dream for his?

    Anjali

    P.S. Your dish looks divine. And deveined! I'm a riot. Just ask Sharon how funny I am. She'll tell you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anjali,

    welcome to my blog and am glad you like it here. Funny, I have asked my mom the same question recently and she has answered gracefully: " At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child, or a parent. " I believe she quoted Barbara Bush ?? So true though, don't you think ???

    ReplyDelete