Sunday, April 4, 2010

Stir Fried Snap Peas With Chinese Fishcake Slices


Twice to three times a week, I try to cook a meal that contains no meat for all my boys. On those nights, I will cook seafood. My little boys love Chinese fishcake slices, it is already cooked and very easy to stir fry. I would always buy a pack in the Chinese grocery store and freeze them. It freezes very well and takes very short time to defrost. Perfect for meals when you are feeling lazy or are in a rush.

I really didn't feel like cooking something fancy today and after all the meat we ate yesterday at our Easter Dinner at my Nai Nai's place, I wanted something quick, easy and meatless.

Stir Fried Snap Peas With Chinese Fishcake Slices

1 block of Chinese Fishcake, cut into this slices
1 bag of snap peas, rinsed and drained
1 - 2 tablespoons garlic/ginger mixture
2 -3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3/4 - 1 cup water
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
salt to taste

Step 1:
Blanch prepared snap peas. Save the boiling water to blanch the Chinese Fishcakes as this step takes the fishiness away. Discard the water and put both ingredients aside.

Step 2:
Heat your wok with oil, and brown the fishcakes on both sides. Once they turn brown, add the garlic/ginger mixture and stir fry it until they turn translucent and fragrant.

Step 3:
Add the Chinese cooking wine and soy, stir once or twice then add your water. Once the sauce starts to boil, add back your snap peas and mix in your cornstarch mixture and stir well until the sauce starts to thicken.

Step 4:
Taste the sauce, if needed add some salt and serve with a hot bowl of steamed rice.

Enjoy !

4 comments:

  1. Susane,
    I have some left over crab from when I made sushi this weekend. Do you think I could substitute the fishcake for crab?
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that as well ..... tastes just as good !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it this evening! Did you know that you are missing the step when you're suppose to put back the snap peas??? Is it in step 2 or 3??

    I also wonder why the Chinese wine is needed. I had some in stock and I used it. If I didn't have it, how would the taste change?

    GREAT RECIPE! VERY EASY!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaahh, thanks Sharon .. I have made the adjustment to my recipe. I have added it to Step 3, just before you add the cornstarch.

    As for the Chinese Cooking Wine, I find it is essential to cook with it for all Chinese dishes, as it gives it a nice finishing touch, flavour and most importantly, it gives it a zing. If you have something too fishy or porky(do I say that ? Am sure you know what I mean), Chinese cooking wine, takes that taste away as well. If you decide not to cook with Chinese cooking wine, that is fine too but you will miss the finishing flavour, it just doesn't feel finished then. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete