Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chinese Dumpling/Jiaozi with Pork/Chicken, Shrimp, Dried Mushrooms and Bok Choy (餃子)

Ethan has asked me to do my Chinese Dumpling/Jiaozi from scratch again. I am so surprised he would still remember as I usually just make it once a year for Chinese New Year. I just find it way easier to buy a batch of frozen Chinese dumplings as I have a particular store I always go to. They make amazing Chinese dumplings and sell just the Chinese dumpling skins as well. What I love about Jiaozi is that is so versatile, you can practically put anything what your heart desires. Today, I choose to use Pork/Chicken, Shrimp, Chinese dried mushrooms and baby bok choy. Those are the items my three Wan boys adore most. Ethan loves his shrimps, Timothy loves Chinese dried mushrooms and Damian loves baby bok choy. I am mixing pork and chicken together, as I find, minced chicken itself, makes my Jiaozi too dry, and using just pork, too fatty. Combining them makes it perfect. Making your own Jiaozi skin isn't hard at all. It just takes time and practise from you to perfect them. There is many different way to fold them, but today I choose to teach you the most simplest way. You can double the recipe and freeze them on a baking tray with some parchment paper on it for 1 night, once they are frozen, transfer them into a zip lock bag.

Chinese Dumpling/Jiaozi with Pork/Chicken, Shrimp, Dried Mushrooms and Bok Choy (餃子)

3/4 lb ground pork
3/4 lb ground chicken
2 - 3 bags frozen peeled, divined prawns, defrosted ("Thai Gold" brand is the best) and finely minced
1 bag baby bok choy, rinsed, blanched, water squeezed out !very important! and chopped finely
1/4 cup chopped green onions/cilantro mixture
15 - 20 Chinese dried mushrooms (蜜枣), rinsed and soaked overnight, then finely chopped
1.5 tablespoon grated (not minced) ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 - 3 tablespoon soy sauce
1 egg
1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
A few dashes of white pepper powder
7 - 8 drops of sesame oil
1/2 tablespoon Worcester sauce

For the skin:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup water

For dipping:
Black vinegar

Step 1:
Mix the flour with water and knead it for about 20-25 minutes or until the dough gets soft. Separate the dough into two equal portions and roll them into cylinders (about 1 inch in diameter). Cover them with wet towel and set aside.

Step 2:
Combine all the ingredients and add all the seasonings, mix it well. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Step 3:
To prepare the skin, cut the dough into 1/4 in. length and use a rolling pin to flatten it until it becomes a round skin about 3 inch in diameter. Put a small spoonful of filling into the center of the skin and seal it up tightly with your fingers. (No pleating is needed for this recipe).

Step 4:
Heat up a pot of hot water until it boils. Add 1 - 2 tablespoons of oil, so your dumplings won't stick together. Drop the dumplings into the boiling water and cover the pot. As soon as the dumplings start to float (meaning they are cooked), dish them out on a serving plate. Serve hot with black vinegar.

Enjoy !

2 comments:

  1. I love Gao Zi...I'm gonna attempt to try my hands on this ONE day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your day will come ..... I hope sooner than later ....

    ReplyDelete