Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


Have you ever tried baking sweet treats with vegetables ? I did and I certainly love it. It makes me think that in some odd ways, I am eating healthier - well, sort of. This zucchini banana chocolate chip muffin tastes just like the banana bread/muffin you are used to. Moist, fragrant and super delicious.

I tell you, Damian, my wonderful husband, loves his mama's banana bread and I have to agree, one of the very best banana breads out there. My Nai Nai (Cantonese for mother-in-law) is one hell of a good cook, bakes mainly her banana breads and a super delicious Malaysian coconut dessert - even though she likes to do short cuts here and there (I am laughing by the thought of having tasted her lasagna with kidney beans!). When she does stick to her original recipe, boy oh boy, it is really hard for me to keep up with her. That is why I refuse to cook Malaysian food - for my own sake. Damian's family comes from Malaysia but are Chinese and lucky for me, I get to taste all this wonderful tasty Malaysian food, mmm.

I have been trying so many banana bread's recipe out, it's not even funny. Adding zucchini to my banana muffins was a great idea of Lynda, my in-official sister-in-law. She has made it one day and it was great. Lynda has provided me a good recipe however, over the time of trials, I have become a great fan of Martha Stewart's banana muffins' recipe.

Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins,
adjusted & adapted by Martha Stewart(makes 12 Muffins or 36 Mini muffins)

4 (1 1/2 to 2 pounds) ripe bananas
2 zucchinis
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Step 1:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan, regular or mini, with paper liners.

Step 2:
Rinse and dry two zucchinis, shredd them and sqeeze as much water out with a clean kitchen cloth. Set aside.

Step 3:
Peel four bananas, and place them in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until mashed, about 1 minute.

Step 4:
Add brown sugar, oil, and egg; beat until smooth. Reduce speed to low.

Step 5:
Add flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and beat until smooth.

Step 6:
Add sour cream, shredded zucchini, vanilla and beat until combined.

Step 7:
Fold in chocolate chips and fill muffin liners three-quarters full.

Step 8:
Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes for regular muffins and 20 for mini, rotating pan halfway through. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Store, covered, at room temperature.

Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment