Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tossed Wonton Noodles with Shrimp Wontons and Chinese BBQ Pork


Timothy loves noodles, Ethan loves bbq pork, Damian loves shrimp wontons and I love to cook food they love to eat. Does that make sense to you ? It does to me. I really wished that there would be a store that sells all my favourite items for cooking. Until that time comes, I will continue running around like a mad woman just to get the best ingredients for all my dishes.

Take HK B.B.Q Master as an example, a local Chinese BBQ Store in Richmond, it's the best one - ever. It is a small hidden gem underneath the Richmond's Superstore, closed on Wednesdays. Whenever you go to Richmond's Superstore, you should give it a try. Their tasty bbq items have even impressed my father, who is very hard to pleased since he is a retired 5 * chef.
Then there is Typical Noodle in Richmond as well - been going to this one for years and years. Typical Noodle sells fresh, mainly frozen dumplings, gyozas and fresh noodles. Just like the HK B.B.Q. Master it's a tiny little store, closed on Sundays.

I have picked up two slabs of bbq pork after I was shopping at Superstore, have the butcher chopped it for you into tiny bite size pieces (like for fried rice) as I am too lazy to do it at home and I don't have to deal with a greasy chopping board, lol, and ask them for a green onion/ginger sauce and more of that yummy bbq soy sauce. Trust me, you need it. Afterwards I had to go to the Typical Noodle store as I had to restock my dumpling supply in my freezer, so I thought why don't I make tossed noodles for dinner. A great simple all in one pot dish, no fancy tools required. Don't you love that ? With that thought in mind, I purchased wonton noodles and a tray of fresh shrimp wontons. My Wan boys are getting spoiled - yet again. I love this dish, as you can put anything in you would like. In summer, I like to eat it cold, almost like a pasta salad, and with colder weathers I like it warm, also a great picnic or potluck dish. Just to give you some ideas.

Tossed Wonton Noodles With Shrimp Wontons And Chinese BBQ Pork

2 bags = 8 bundles fresh wonton noodles
1 tray = 12 pieces fresh shrimp wontons
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro/green onion (scallions) mixture
two slaps Chinese BBQ Pork chopped into tiny bite size pieces
1.5 lbs trimmed and rinsed baby bak-choy or any other fresh Chinese vegetables
3 -4 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 -2 tablespoons black sesame oil
1 tablespoon green onion/ginger mixture
2 tablespoons bbq soy sauce
1 teaspoon knox chicken powder
1 tablespoon fried shallots
1 tablespoon oil

Step 1:
Fill your wok/soup stock pot 3/4 full of cold water and bring it to boil.

Step 2:
Meanwhile loosen the bundles on wonton noodles and cut into half that way you won't end up with a big ball of wonton noodles (doesn't taste good and it looks awful).

Step 3:
Blanche baby bak choy and set aside in a big salad/pasta bowl. Don't toss your hot water in the wok.

Step 4:
Bring water to boil again, add your oil and cook shimp wontons until they start to flow on the top of the water, add them to your baby bak choy.

Step 5:
Bring water to boil again, slowly enter your wonton noodles and cook them like your pasta - usually it only takes about 4 - 5 minutes. Remove it and rinse it well under running hot water. Make sure all the baking soda smell is gone.

Step 6:
Toss wonton noodles with all the remaining ingredients, baby bak choy and shrimp wontons.

Step 7:
Serve and enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment