Saturday, March 13, 2010

Broken Glass Jello Cake


This has been a busy birthday celebration week for me ... I had not only celebrated my little boy's, Timothy, birthday but also our dear friend's, Sharon. So naturally, I had to think of a kid friendly treat that Timothy could take to Daycare to celebrate his special day with his little friends. It seems that kids these days are prone to a lot of different allergies, so it makes it very difficult for one to make a yummy, exciting but yet economical treat.
My boys love jello treats, so I googled many different types of jello recipes but was attracted most to a broken glass recipe by the food librarian. Her blog inspired me to my version of broken glass jello cake. One afternoon, I had taken Timothy to Ming Wo, a local cooking supply store, to have him pick his very own mold for his broken glass jello cake. Of course he has chosen a car mold, I should have known better as his favourite movie is Cars from Walt Disney. I have gotten very creative as I had found some grow chart wall stickers in form of a race track, which I had transferred to a piece of paper and got it laminated. It was the perfect finishing touch - at least in my mind.


It was such a hit with Timothy (can you tell from his picture ?) and all the other daycare kids, I have decided to do it one more time for our friend Sharon. Since she is a very lovely young lady, I decided to get a butterfly form for her. It looked stunning - like a piece of art work. It really looked like you slaved hours and hours in the kitchen but little do they know, all you need are two 15 minutes in two seperate days.

Broken glass jello cake sounds so much more complicated than it is, really - trust me. It is extremely easy, anyone can do it and I believe, YOU too.


Broken Glass Jello, adapted from the food librarian

1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
2 envelopes of unflavored Knox gelatin
1 mold + 1 square glass pan (8x8) or simply use 1 big square pan (9x13)
1 can of cooking spray
6 small boxes (3 oz. each) Jell-O in different colours

1. Step:
For each flavor, dissolve one box of jello in one cup of boiling water. Pour into a small container and chill overnight.

2. Step:
Spray your mold/pan very lightly with cooking spray. I always tend to overspray, so I used a kitchentower paper to clean my mold off the excess grease, as I don't want the jello cake to be over greased.

3. Step:
Cut the chilled jello into small blocks and carefully mix them into your mold.

4. Step:
In a seperate bowl, sprinkle 2 envelopes of knox gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. After the gelatin blooms, add 1 1/2 cup boiling water and dissolve. Add the can of condensed milk. Stir and let it cool. Pour cooled milk mixture over the mixed jello and chill over night.

5. Step:
Remove the broken glass jello cake carefully out of it's mold and serve.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susane!
    Vielen Dank für das ausgezeichnete und leckere Jello!

    Bernd und ich hatten es als Nachtisch heute Abend, und es war köstlichst! :)
    Du bist wirklich ein wunderbares sweetheart!

    Ich war so bewegt als ich herausgefunden habe dass Du die Schmetterling
    extra fuer mich gemacht hast! Susane, Du bist nicht nur eine ausgezeichnete
    Bäckerin und Koechin, du bist auch eine first class Künstlerin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon oder sollte ich lieber Bernd schreiben ? Freut mich sehr, dass Dir dieser Nachtisch so geschmeckt hat .... und es freut mich sogar mehr, dass Du immer eine tolle Freundin bist !!! Hab' Dich lieb !! Bussi !

    ReplyDelete