Monday, March 22, 2010

Soy Glazed Salmon, Chinese Steamed Eggs (蒸水蛋) & Minced Turkey Meat with Green Beans


I always pick my brain out, whenever I have to cook for my two precious nieces. I tell you, not an easy challenge at all if one of them does not eat whatever looks orange or even green.

I love my nieces, Megan and Cailtin, to pieces, no matter how challenging they are with food. It's actually not that hard once you get the hang out of it. To my surprise, Megan actually requested green beans and Caitlin wanted fish while my boys wanted Chinese steam eggs. Go figure that! I am soooo their slave today. *Sigh*

But as devoted as I am, of course I cooked whatever was requested. So, as I have mentioned earlier, I made my Chinese Oxtail Soup for them, then I cooked them minced turkey with green beans (well cooked beans as Megan requested!), a red miso soy glazed salmon and Chinese steamed eggs. 3 of my all time favourite dishes that are simple to make.

Hurray, my nieces ate two bowls, I couldn't believe it. Megan even asked me to pack her a lunch box when she saw me packing my boys' lunch boxes, so cute ... I felt so honoured. I already was so touched when Ethan said to Caitlin earlier that evening while having dinner, that his mommy cooks like "the people" outside when eating out in the restaurant. I had to wipe my tears away, I was so touched when I heard that, seriously.

So, let me share with you my very simple dinner that was such huge success. Whoever you will cook these items for, they will love it - trust me, Megan and Caitlin are your proof !

Red Miso Soy Glazed Salmon

2 - 3 large pieces of boneless and skinless salmon
2 teaspoons of red miso paste
4 teaspoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of soy sauce

1. Step:
Mix the red miso paste, brown sugar and soy sauce together until well blended.
2. Step:
Wash and towel dry your salmon pieces.
3. Step:
Cover your baking tray/pan with aluminum foil and place your cleaned salmon on it.
4. Step:
Coat the top of salmon's with your miso soy paste.
5. Step:
Bake your salmon at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.
6. Step:
Place on plate and serve.

Enjoy!

Chinese Steamed Eggs (蒸水蛋), adapted by So Sze Wong

2 eggs
100 ml chicken stock
200 ml cooled down boiled water
pinch of salt & sugar
big drop of sesame oil

2-3 tablespoons of steam fish soy sauce
2 teaspoons of oil

1. Step:
Prepare a wok for steaming at high heat.

2. Step:
Take two eggs, beat it with a fork, has to be a fork as it beats the egg more fluffier.

3. Step:
Add 100 ml chicken stock + 200 ml cooled down boiled water, pinch of salt, sugar and a big drop of sesame oil.

4. Step:
Transfer it into a a shallow thin ceramic bowl, remove all the air bubbles and cover tight with foil without having it touch the egg. Turn down the heat to medium heat and steam the eggs for 10 minutes ... don't touch until it's finished and never over steam.

5. Step:
Prepare a little bowl with some drizzle of steam fish soy sauce and heat up some oil. Once the oil is hot, pour it over the soy sauce .... the exact same technique as you do it for Chinese steam fish.
6. Step:
Drizzle the soy sauce over the steamed eggs. Done .....enjoy !

If you want to jazz up the steam eggs, add some minced chicken when you prepare the eggs.

Minced Turkey Meat with Green Beans

1 lb fresh green beans
1/2 lb minced turkey meat
2 medium shallots
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic & ginger
2 tablespoons of oil
1 - 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
2 teaspoons Yeo's salted soy beans
1 teaspoon Hsin Tung Yan's sweet bean sauce
1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
1-2 cups boiled water
1 teaspoon corn starch
2 tablespoons cold water
2-3 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro

1. Step:
Trim the ends of the green beans and blanched them in boiled water.

2. Step:
Peel shallots and them cut into thin slices.

3. Step:
Heat your wok with your oil, once hot add your shallot slices with your ginger/garlic mixture.

4. Step:
Stir fry minced turkey meat until brown.

5. Step:
Pour Chinese cooking wine and mix it in.

6. Step:
Add salted soy beans, sweet bean and hoisin sauce with boiled water.

7. Step:
Combine well and have your sauce come to a boil again.

8. Step:
Meanwhile mix your corn starch with cold water in a separate small bowl, pour it into your wok and combine well.

9. Step:
Once your sauce is boiled, add your cilantro and serve.

Enjoy !

2 comments:

  1. The steamed egg is wonderful!!! Ms Contessa Susane was right on the money! From my experience, though, it all depends how soft or hard you want the steamed egg. if you want it softer, add more liquid, if harder, add less.

    I actually put two BIG drops of sesame oil because it's so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a dedicated student you are .. great job, Sharon !!!

    ReplyDelete