Monday, March 15, 2010

My kids lunch boxes ....

It's Monday - yet again - that means packing kids lunch boxes for their daycare. I take great pleasure and pride doing my kids lunch boxes but am slowly running out of ideas. Honestly, I find it sometimes really hard to come up with bright ideas that are interesting and yet healthy for my kids. I normally pack my kids hot lunches, sometimes cold lunches but everyday - from Monday to Friday - it's different. Ethan and Timothy always want to put their thoughts into their lunch boxes as well, which I fully support - as long it's sort of healthy - after all they are the one's eating it, right ?

For today, I found some shredded roasted garlic chicken leg meat, which we had for dinner yesterday. So I thought, I whip them up some croissant sandwich with melted cheese and creamy garlic sauce. Add some veggies, in my case, I just boiled some fresh corn and voila, that could be your kid's lunch. Easy right ? I tend to go overboard, that is the way I am. My boys told me, that they compare lunches in daycare, sort of who has a better looking and tastier lunch box. That gives me pressure in making them pretty, healthy and yummy lunches. I honestly fear the day when my boys would come home and tell me, that the lunch box I packed them, would be boring or worst, yucky ..... I think, I would cry !!!



What happened to me ? I used to be such a high powered career oriented woman, famous for being blunt, straight forward and super organized, so typical German. Nothing feared me and now ? I am afraid of what a 4 and an almost 6 year old boy thinks of their lunches .... it makes me laugh .... :)

For those people, who don't know me, I am a stay-home mom - for now. I truly think that I am very lucky and blessed to be able to do so. My parents owned an authentic, high class Chinese Restaurant in Berlin, Germany (yes, you read right !) - so they were extremely busy with it. There were lots of times, I wished my mom or dad could have more time for me when growing up, so I vowed, if I ever had kids one day, I would fully commit myself to them when they are young and through out school-time, depending if we could afford it. I mean, I can always have a career and earn lots of money - but the moments I get with my children while they grow up, I can only get once. Don't get me wrong, I really have nothing against those moms, who have a full-time jobs and on top of it, try to raise their child or children. I envy each of them.

I loved my childhood in Berlin, growing up in a restaurant .... everyday was interesting .... it was never boring. I was truly spoiled with all the yummy food around me. It made me the person I am today, very traditional Chinese with a big German twist and a huge passion for food.

2 comments: