Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thai Red Chicken Curry with Yams, Potatoes, Carrots and Green Beans


I need to take a mini vacation from this rain. As much as I love it, I do wished I would be somewhere warm - like Thailand. Since I can't do that I can take us on an culinary adventure. I love curry, all sort of curries. Since I dreamt about lying on the beach in Thailand, why don't we have some Thai red chicken curry? A very mild, kid's friendly, version. I introduce my kids to all type of foods. Weather they like it or not, they need to try. I am very stern that way, must be the German in me.

Some people think that I am the worst twist ever - with me being Chinese + raised in Germany. Really ? I have asked Damian this once, and he made me laugh so hard. When he thinks of Germany he thinks of Adolf Hitler, then when he thinks of Chinese, he thinks of Mao Zedong - combine them, you get me. At that time, I was so offended, lucky for him, we were married already. I didn't know if I should have smacked him or just laugh about his super dry humor. I chose to smile about it and take it with great dignity. I reminded him that those two people he had just mentioned, are one of the most famous people in history - regardless of the things they have done. Fact is that millions of students learn about them during history class- every single day. So having me compare to them, oh gosh, I am a famous person who creates history!!!! WOW. Damian has been quiet ever since and never made those kind of remarks EVER.

Now that you know more about me, I would really love to learn more about you. I always wonder who would read my blog. I love to hear from you. Meanwhile, let me take you on a mini adventure to Thailand with my Thai red chicken curry.

Thai Red Chicken Curry with Yams, Potatoes and Green Beans

325 gm chicken (breast or thigh)
1 red sweet potato (about 280 gm), peeled and cut into chunks
1 potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 Chinese carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
100 gm green beans
3 shallots, cut into thick slices
1 Tbsp red curry paste, or to taste
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tsp garlic & ginger, crushed and minced
cilantro for garnish
water (to cook and soften sweet potato, potatoe and green beans)

Marinade:
2 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp Chinese Cooking (Shaoxing) wine
pepper, to taste
1/8 tsp fish sauce

Step 1:
Rinse chicken and wipe dry. Cut the chicken into 3cm (1.25inch) pieces. Marinade chicken for about 20 minutes.

Step 2:
Heat oil in a wok or a saucepan over medium heat. Cook chicken until the colour changes white. Set aside.

Step 3:
Add some oil in wok, saute shallots until translucent. Push to the sides of wok, add garlic/ginger mix and red curry paste in the middle. Be aware not to burn the garlic (add more oil if needed.) Once you smell the aroma of curry, stir and mix all ingredients. Add the yams, carrots and potatos. Continue to stir fry and mix well for 3 minutes. Pour in some water to cook until the yam begins to be softened, about 5 minutes. When the water evaporates and reduces to half, add coconut milk, green beans and cook until all ingredients are soft.

Step 4:
Toss back chicken into curry mixture and simmer for a 20 - 30 minutes. Season with salt and sugar if needed. Taste by yourself. Garnish with cilantro. Best served hot with Jasmine rice.

Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment