Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup (台湾牛肉麵)


Hi there ..... I am still alive .... it seems forever since I have posted a recipe on my blog. No worries, I have not given up or neglected you. I have just been busy ..... very busy. Damian was off for a whole week ... so he took me out every single day. It was really fun ... I enjoyed every single moment as it was just the two of us during the day. The boys were at daycare. You know, once you become a parent, those moments are very rare.Too rare actually .... anyhow, it makes you treasure those rare moments even more. At least I do.

Tonight's dinner was a super hit, as I have made my killer Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup. All my boys love it. Timothy loves his noodles, which makes him love this dish even more. They ate so much !!!! I had just enough soup left to pack the little boys some lunch ... but I had three beef shanks left, which I am going to slice very thin tomorrow and serve as a cold appetizer. Mmm, just thinking of it, makes me hungry again. I would say, that this dish is my ultimate Chinese comfort food. It makes your house smell so yummy !!! Try it out, you won't regret it at all !!!!!!

Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup (台湾牛肉麵)

3 - 5 beef shanks
1 tablespoon oil
1″ ginger, peeled and sliced
5 medium cloves garlic, minced
5 - 6 small shallots, halved & cut into slices
2 - 3 scallions, roughly chopped
3 - 5 star anise
1 small cinnamon stick
2 tablespoon chili bean sauce (豆瓣醬), I like the ones made in Taiwan
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1 beef leg bone segment
3 large tomato, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 carrots, cut into bite-sized chunks
1/2 cup rose cooking wine
2 -3 rock sugar pieces
2 pickled red chili peppers, sliced lengthwise, seeds intact
fresh ground black pepper
4 bundles fresh Taiwanese noodles (the classic choice is wheat noodles shaped like linguine)

Step 1:
Blanche the beef shank pieces & beef leg bone segment in hot water for about 5 minutes or until medium rare to get the blood out. Drain. This makes the broth clearer and a little less rich.

Step 2:
Heat oil in a 5 quart pot over medium heat, and saute the ginger, garlic, scallions, cilantro and star anise until fragrant.

Step 3:
Add beef shank pieces and chili bean sauce, and saute a few minutes, to brown the beef a little.

Step 4:
Add rose cooking wine, light and dark soy sauces, stir, and cook for 2 minutes.

Step 5:
Add beef bone segment and all remaining ingredients (except noodles). Add water until just covered.

Step 6:
Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low or medium-low and simmer gently, partly covered, for 2.5 hours, or until the beef shank is tender.

Step 7:
Meanwhile, cook and drain noodles.

Step 8:
When soup is done, serve in bowls over noodles.

Optional: serve with boiled napa cabbage, pickled mustard greens, or fresh chopped cilantro.

Enjoy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment