Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chinese-Style Mushroom & Hairy Gourd/Mo Gua (節瓜) Soup

I just came home from my weekly grocery shopping. Today, they had plenty of different types of mushrooms on sale at my local Chinese grocery store. My kids love mushrooms, all kind of mushrooms. You must know, I am not a big mushroom eater myself. I must have over eaten on them when growing up. Whenever I see mushrooms, I feel like gagging except when it is enoki mushrooms. I really don't understand why. Anyhow, as always I have put my boys tastes ahead of mine. Mushroom soup it is, I mean it is so healthy. On my lazy days, I would just add frozen udon noodles to eat with it. If you are having a hard time finding Mo Gua, add a small bag of pre-washed baby spinach. It tastes just as good.

Chinese-Style Mushroom & Hairy Gourd/Mo Gua (節瓜) Soup

3 cups thinly sliced mixed mushrooms (Enoki, Oyster & Korean Kings Mushroom)
1 hairy Gourd also known as Mo Gua (節瓜), peeled and cubed into bite sizes
4 chicken drumsticks, substitute with 1 box medium firm smooth tofu, cut into 1/2-inch pieces if you decide to cook it with no meat at all
2 thin slices of peeled ginger
1 peeled garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon black sesame oil
1 tablespoon green onion/cilantro mixture

Step 1:
Blanche chicken drumsticks in separate bowl with boiling water, afterwards rinse it clean under running water to remove any dirt and debris from the blanching.

Step 2:
Combine all other ingredients in large soup pot and add enough water to cover everything. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook it for up to 10 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt/pepper & green onion/cilantro mixture. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.

Enjoy !!

No comments:

Post a Comment