Monday, January 24, 2011

Chinese New Year Almond Cookies


I am amazed how fast 2010 flew past by me and here I am, gearing up for our Chinese New Year. To be honest, I am not in a very festive mood since we just got back from Hong Kong. I am just too exhausted from everything. I haven't even really recovered yet and can't believe that the year of the rabbit is knocking on our door. Oh my gosh, that means my niece, Caitlin, is turning 12 soon as she was born in the year of rabbit. It all makes sense to me now, I was starting to wonder why she behaves different lately. Caitlin is a teenager now, WOW.


I won't be doing so much this year but I did bake with my two little boys these Chinese New Year Almond Cookies and they were devine. They helped me rolling each cookies into tiny balls and we had a lot of fun !!! So from me to you, I wish you all a very happy and healthy Chinese New Year !!!


Chinese New Year Almond Cookies (makes 70 cookies)

3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
3/4 cup (175 mL) shortening
3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp (10 mL) almond extract
1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) ground almonds {also called almond “flour”}
1-1/4 tsp (6 mL) baking powder
70 blanched (skinless) whole almonds (about 2/3 cup/150 mL)
1 egg yolk
{Note: If you can’t find any blanched (skinless) almonds, you can easily blanch the almonds yourself.}

Step 1:
In a large bowl, beat together the butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, almond extract and vanilla.

Step 2:
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds and baking powder; add to the butter mixture and stir to form a stiff dough.

Step 3:
Roll dough by tablespoonful (15 mL) into balls. Place each ball on a greased or parchment paper-lined rimless baking sheet, 2 inches (5 cm) apart.

Step 4:
Top each ball with a whole blanched almond, pressing into the dough. Mix the egg yolk with 1 tsp (5 mL) water; brush the egg wash over the cookies.

Step 5:
Bake in the centre of a 350°F oven until the edges are light golden, about 15 minutes.

Step 6:
Transfer to a rack; let cool completely.

Enjoy !

* These cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment